By Gabriel García September 17, 2023
MeO-DMT, or methoxy-dimethyltryptamine, is a psychoactive substance belonging to the tryptamine group, molecules that have neuromodulatory effects on the brain. MeO-DMT is found naturally in some plants, such as Anadenanthera peregrina or Acacia maidenii, and can also be synthesized in laboratories. Its consumption produces intense hallucinogenic effects, which can last between 5 and 30 minutes, depending on the route of administration.
What happens when you consume MeO-DMT
MeO-DMT’s effects on the brain are due to its ability to bind to serotonin receptors, a neurotransmitter that regulates mood, perception, sleep and cognition. By activating these receptors, MeO-DMT alters neuronal activity and communication between different brain regions, resulting in altered consciousness and reality. Users of this substance often experience geometric visions, intense colors, strange bodily sensations, temporal and spatial distortions, and encounters with supernatural entities or beings.
Risks of using MeO-DMT
The risks of consuming MeO-DMT are varied and depend on the dose, purity, context and personal characteristics of the user. Some of the most common risks are:
- Physical adverse effects: nausea, vomiting, tachycardia, hypertension, dilated pupils, increased body temperature, and shortness of breath.
- Psychological adverse effects: anxiety, panic, paranoia, confusion, depersonalization, derealization and psychosis.
- Dangerous interactions with other substances: MeO-DMT may potentiate or antagonize the effects of other drugs, such as alcohol, antidepressants, stimulants or monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs).
- Dependence and tolerance: although MeO-DMT has not been shown to cause physical or psychological dependence, repeated use may lead to tolerance, i.e. the need to increase the dose to obtain the same effects.
- Legal and social harms: MeO-DMT is an illegal substance in many countries and its possession, production or distribution may have legal consequences. In addition, its use may adversely affect the user’s personal, family or work relationships.
Research on Me0-DMT
On the other hand, MeO-DMT has also aroused the interest of some researchers who are studying its possible therapeutic benefits in the medical, clinical and psychiatric fields. Some of the current lines of research are:
- Treatment of addictions: some studies suggest that MeO-DMT could help reduce the use of other drugs, such as tobacco, alcohol or cocaine, by inducing spiritual or mystical experiences that change the user’s perspective on his or her life and habits.
- Treatment of depressive disorders: some studies indicate that MeO-DMT may have a rapid and long-lasting antidepressant effect by stimulating neurogenesis (the formation of new neurons) and modulating serotonin levels in the brain.
- Treatment of chronic pain: some studies suggest that MeO-DMT may have an analgesic effect by blocking NMDA receptors (a type of receptor involved in pain transmission) and activating opioid receptors (receptors that inhibit pain).
- Treatment of post-traumatic stress: some studies suggest that MeO-DMT could facilitate the processing and integration of traumatic memories by promoting a state of relaxation, introspection and emotional openness.
MeO-DMT is a psychoactive substance that has potent hallucinogenic effects on the brain, which can be both beneficial and harmful, depending on various factors. Its recreational use carries significant risks to physical and mental health, as well as to legality and social coexistence. Its therapeutic use, on the other hand, could offer new alternatives for the treatment of some diseases or disorders, always under medical supervision and scientific control.
One source of useful and rigorous information on psychedelics is Argonowta’s Psychonaut’s Guides, which offer practical and scientific advice on how to prepare for, experience and benefit from psychedelic trips. These guides address topics such as dosage, set and setting, integration or legal and health precautions. If you want to know more about the fascinating world of psychedelics, we recommend that you consult these guides and explore your mind responsibly and respectfully.
The Psychonaut’s Guides from Argonowta Publishing is a collection of books that explain in a rigorous and accessible way the scientific, historical, cultural and experiential aspects of psychedelic substances. These guides offer updated and contrasted information on the therapeutic and neuroscientific applications of psilocybin, LSD, DMT and MDMA, as well as practical advice on how to prepare, carry out and take advantage of psychedelic experiences. The Psychonaut’s Guides are a must-have reference for anyone interested in learning about the psychedelic renaissance that is transforming mental health and changing lives.